Image credit: Nicholas Moreau at WikiMedia

May 22, 2010

Sheer Genius - Tata Indicom Dealer DIS-Locator

I happened to hit the Tata Indicom site, trying to find the address of the True Value shop in Panjim, so I could hand in my letter ordering termination of my account. (I had called the help line, but after an annoying interaction with the usual pleas of "you're a precious long-time customer" and "sorry, the accounts department is busy and I cannot transfer you there to place your termination request" I obtained a docket number, and despite the assurances that "the accounts department will call you back in 4 hours" I received no call.

Well, I've observed "accounting slip-ups" from these people in the past, so I wanted to make doubly darn sure they didn't bill me for an extra month (billing period 21st of the month to 20th of next month) and my call (sadly for them) was on the 20th.

Anyway, long story short, I went to http://tataindicom.com/dealer-locator.aspx from the menu. After being asked to select a state (no "Goa", it appears Panjim is part of Maharashtra according to TTML -- more genius), I get dumped into what looks like an embedded Google Maps map.

After looking at it for a while, I realize they want me to enter MY location, so they can give me directions to the nearest shop. Well, that's a good idea, progressive. I chose my location as Panjim. The "FIND NEARBY TATA INDICOM STORE" button doesn't seem to work - no response - so I clicked the "FIND NEAREST TATA INDICOM STORE ROUTE" button. The results were anything but smart. I then chose my location as Porvorim. I got the same directions... check this out:


That's right... for an address in Panjim, I get directed to Assonora - 22 km in the absolutely wrong direction. Sheer effing genius, isn't it? Imagine the plight of someone new to Goa who follows this map... The joke is that the "genius" who ordered this stupid map to be put on there will probably get promoted on the basis of his or her "genius idea".

Well, just like I no longer trust or like Tata Indicom/TTML's service standards, I no longer trust their site either. The old and simple text address would have been far simpler to read and use... and TTML's notices that my bills were overdue would carry a lot more weight if THEY SENT MY BILLS TO ME ON TIME!!! As it stands, Tata Indicom (TTML in Goa) is becoming more and more of a damn nuisance to me every month, so I'm just cutting loose. I've been paying them 425/- per month when I'm hardly ever using the connection, but after recent irritations from them, would rather do without their """service""" (HA!).

No comments:

Post a Comment