Image credit: Nicholas Moreau at WikiMedia

Mar 26, 2010

Nokia Account website - or - "hire some real developers, stupid!"

I own a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. To check out the services offered by Nokia to its customers, I'd signed up for a Nokia Account some time back. I re-visited their site today, to realize I'd forgotten the password I'd supplied when creating the account. Well, that should be easy enough to fix, right? Click the "Forgot My Password" link, supply the info they ask, and wait for a password reset link to arrive in my mail.

Ah! It arrived super-fast. But when I clicked it, this is what I saw (some parts redacted for obvious reasons):



After that first "Huh??" moment, I saw the Change Password link, and clicked it:



Yes, you guessed right... the Old Password WAS mandatory entry. For someone who'd applied for a password reset because he'd forgotten the old password. Sheer soaring genius, no?

I re-tried this a couple of times, to check if I was somehow making a mistake in this elementary and often-used ritual at different sites. Then I lost my temper. Having found a "Contact Us" link, I proceeded to Contact Them. Oh, yes, sizzling contact:


Do the morons who designed and coded the Nokia Account website NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT A PASSWORD RESET IS??? WTF is the idea of mailing me a "password reset" link that only takes me to the main page of my account - and when I click the Change Password link, DEMANDS MY OLD PASSWORD BEFORE I CAN CHANGE TO A NEW ONE???!! When are the blasted imbeciles who coded this function going to realize that people ask for a password reset WHEN THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR PASSWORDS and can't log in to the site in the first place!!! Yet you expect me to enter my old -- FORGOTTEN -- password before I can set a new one - FIX THIS, IDIOTS!!!


If you don't understand what the word "customer" means, Google and others understand very very well. No wonder Nokia is slowly dying, if this is the kind of screaming frustration imposed on users who are trying to use Nokia sites via the Web - and who make the mistake of forgetting their password for the garish, Flash-ridden sales spiel that comprises these sites. 


Which brings me to another huge annoyance - hasn't Nokia dealt with web-sites long enough to learn how to implement single sign-on for all the sites in the Nokia family? What kind of juveniles make you enter your username and password at each and every site?? I am sitting looking at my account information at account.nokia.com - from the reset password link, which I've already blown off about above. I click the Ovi store link IN MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION and arrive at an Ovi site that is totally ignorant of my account information! How much coding effort does it take to pass a UserID number in the querystring of the link to other Nokia sites? Forget about Web 2.0, you people are still trying to get Web 1.0 working - if you're trying at all!


Bah - your website developers are disgusting. Looks like Nokia IS going to die out after all. Pity, because the phones are pretty darn good - I should know, I'm on my third Nokia now after a stint with Motorola.


Since you have demanded my email address, kindly mail me a notice when your idiot web developers have finally managed to create a proper password reset page. Till then, twiddle your thumbs and figure out how many users you're losing that might have converted into paying customers...


I don't know how productive that will be - I got the usual mealy-mouthed acknowledgment page and follow-up automated email that assured me of action within 24 hours.

And yet, I wonder - if the Nokia site has at least a few hundred users, am I really the first to forget my password? Are all the other users of Nokia sites Einstein-like geniuses who never forget a password? Umm... what are the odds of THAT?

So that means that at least a few of the other users who have faced this babbling lunacy from that site have probably complained, and been ignored. Well, perhaps it is time that Nokia dies...

No comments:

Post a Comment