Image credit: Nicholas Moreau at WikiMedia

Mar 29, 2010

Nokia "Support" - ha!

Well, my irate feedback on the Nokia Support site did yield results quite quickly - they replied via email within the specified 24 hours. I'll include a screenshot for your "enjoyment":



The red-circled areas are:

  • Wrong URL - it's actually "account.nokia.com", not "accont". Speaks worlds about the competence of Nokia Support staff when they can't even get the URL to the website correct.
  • Not only no acknowledgment that their site had a fault, but a haughty "oi! mind your language!" :-\
  • URL if you want to "reply" to this mail - that's right, replying to this mail got me an automated reply telling me to go to this URL and fill out the Contact Us form ALL OVER AGAIN. Brilliant. Absolutely freaking brilliant!

I'm refraining from calling them up because I'd probably wind up blasting some hapless support rep who's neither involved with the website snafu, nor this haughty and rather useless email. Instead, when Nokia's site prompted me to fill in a survey about how satisfied I was, I told them (the Comments box - the rest of the survey indicated my huge dissatisfaction):

I forgot my Nokia Account password. The extreme geniuses who designed the Nokia Account site mailed me s reset link that took me to my account information page (not a password reset page). The Change Password link demanded my old password, which I have forgotten. 


The last complaint that I wrote was responded to by another great genius, signed off as "Seauli Hati" - the reply starts off by advising me to go to "www.accont.nokia.com" which my browser tells me is a non-existent site. Way to go, "support" people!


Moreover, this genius advises me "We also request you to refrain from using unparliamentary words in your e-mail." Do support staff not understand the that the depths of "genius" displayed in not having a proper password reset page is bound to drive customers up the wall? Have they heard of acknowledging an error and apologizing for the fault, and then reminding the customer that his behavior transgressed polite communication standards, and giving the customer a chance to apologize?


The mail from "Seauli Hati" then gives me the procedure to reset my password (which I had already followed and complained that it did not work). At no point does this person acknowledge the website fault that caused me to lose my temper, nor does this support person say it has been fixed - merely rattles off the hackneyed procedure to reset my password. This is extremely nice to know - despite the fault being on Nokia's web site, it's the customer that gets treated like dirt... 
Your Q. 5 below asks how likely I am to recommend Nokia to a friend - well, be assured that this horrible experience with the website, and with haughty and "genius-like" support staff who cannot unbend enough to simply say "Sorry, mistake has been fixed, please try again" - THAT is going to feature first in my advice to friends.


And I will also stress to friends and whoever asks that when Nokia Support says "via email", it means only at their end - you, the "valued" customer, still have to go fill out the form at http://www.nokia.co.in/get-support-and-software/ask-nokia ALL OVER AGAIN, instead of being able to reply to a mail like normal people do.


Further still, I will continue to decry the "genius" in requiring the customer to sign in separately on every site in the Nokia family.

Well, now that I got back into my account and could sign into the Store, I find that to actually choose and download the 100 free tracks promised to me in the voucher that accompanied the phone, I have to either install their great "Nokia Music" app on Windows (which I don't use) or download the tracks on my mobile phone, running up a nice fat bill on GPRS. Wahoo!!!

It's almost funny, actually - it's the 100 free tracks voucher that I was trying to check out when I ran into that website password-reset stupidity... and now it looks like I might not take advantage of it after all. Hah! :-/ C'est la vie...

No comments:

Post a Comment