Image credit: Nicholas Moreau at WikiMedia

Mar 25, 2010

VirtualBox PUEL, Ubuntu Lucid beta 1, low graphics & hang, kernel 2.6.32

Curious about it, I downloaded Ubuntu Lucid beta 1. Growing wise as I age, I didn't even think of running it on the bare metal, and set about installing it into a VirtualBox VM. After the first reboot, of course Ubuntu came up with a low 800x600 screen resolution, so I installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions and rebooted.

Oops.

When I returned to look at the VM, Lucid was complaining about low graphics and throwing up a series of (X) windows asking me to resolve the problem. None of the options helped, and after a couple of minutes of wandering through those dialogs, Lucid went into hard-hang... so I turned to Google, of course.

Naturally, it turns out it's a known bug, though VirtualBox hasn't yet released a version with the fix included. The answer (for now) is in the post http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6198#comment:5 - which advises manually patching a C program file and recompiling the Guest Additions.

Running the Lucid installation in recovery mode, I was glad the patch was only 4 lines of actual code, and did a peek-switch-type-switch-peek (...) copy of the changes into the specified file. Then ran the vboxadd setup command, which compiled the modules, and rebooted.

Well, I got the GUI, minus the mouse. Actually, minus the mouse pointer - moving the mouse caused various areas of the panel to be highlighted, so it was just that the pointer wasn't visible.

Some poking back in browser history brought me back to
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9012706&postcount=15 and I copied the conf file content, and (thankfully) pasted it into a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in the Lucid VM. Log out and log in again, and thankfully the mouse pointer was visible too.

After all that, I wound up getting quite angry, having realized that ALL the darn themes in Lucid place the blasted window control buttons on the left.. AARGGHH! Couldn't they have left ONE theme in there with the buttons in their old place on the right of the title-bar?

I've seen mentions on the Net of having to use gconf-editor to switch the placement of the control buttons back to the right, but I'm not bothering with that right now - had enough of Lucid for one day! :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment